Monday, February 28, 2011

Friendships


Friendship’s
                During all of the years I have ever played any kind of ball, I have made some of my closest friends. I have stayed in touch with pretty much all my boys that I played ball with in the glory days at good old Union High. These friendships are molded out of the sweat, blood, and sacrifices that come with every sport. Back in "God’s Country" if you are a decent athlete you can start all three sports with very little sacrifice, even less athleticism, and brass balls. One thing I can say about the Basin boys though, is they are some dirty tough work horses. Most of these work horses played all three sports so we spent a lot of time together, which branded their friendships deep into my heart.
                College is a totally different story. I didn’t meet any of these guys back in Peanut Pre-School. The difference between high school friends and college friends is that in high school you go home to your family. In college you are with you friends from 6:30 morning runs until seven that night in the training room. Yeah there is that thing called class or something like that in between. But for the most part we are together, “building the brand”, “fighting the ‘3’ fights”. I love spending time with the boys, I wish we would just have a huge house with fifteen rooms, fifteen bathrooms (I don’t want to smell them), and at least five kitchens with eight fridges cause we eat like horses.  Now that would be a college experience at its best. The thing about the SUU boys is that they are dedicated as ever. For some of them football is their life. They make the sacrifices; they have work ethic, and have a lot of god given talent.
                There are very few guys on any team I have been a part of that I honestly and truly would not DIE for. If you are one of those few guys I wouldn’t die for you probably know who are. I don’t even feel bad; your own mother probably has trouble loving you if I don’t. I have been that way my whole life. My teammates are my brothers. I think that for some guys the bond stays on the field. But for me it is something more, something that makes me jump at the opportunity to help my brothers on or off the field at the drop of a hat.
Then there are my boys who have been there from the beginning until now and there aren’t words for either of them.

2 comments: